Dr. Winkelaar is the Divisional Director and Clinical Head of Vascular Surgery for the Edmonton zone.
He is passionate in his practice of Vascular Surgery and displays a direct, open and kind approach to his patients, advocating strongly on their behalf.
Dr. Winkelaar is a past-President of the Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery. He practices a full spectrum of Vascular Surgery and leads the advanced aortic endovascular program at the Grey Nuns Hospital.
Bachelor of Medical Science, University of Alberta Edmonton, AB 1985-1989
MD, University of Alberta Edmonton, AB 1987-1991
Rotating Internship, Grey Nuns Hospital Edmonton, AB 1991-1992
Residency, General Surgery, University of Alberta Edmonton, AB 1992-1997
Master of Science, University of Alberta Edmonton, AB 1994-1995
Fellowship, Vascular Surgery, University of British Columbia Vancouver, BC 1997-1999
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Certificate of Special Competence in General Vascular Surgery, 1999
Past and Current Appointments
- Attending Vascular Surgeon, Royal Columbian Hospital, New Westminster, BC
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery, University of Alberta
- Section Chief, Vascular Surgery, Royal Alexandra Hospital
- President, Section of Vascular Surgery, Alberta Medical Association
- Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Extracranial Carotid Artery Disease
- Thoraco-abdominal Aneurysm Repair
- Vascular Access for Hemodialysis